On April 23, 1942, with the legal assistance of Gaius C. Bolin, Esq. the organization was incorporated as Catharine Street Community Center, Inc. In 1945, the Board of Management of the YWCA approved the transfer of ownership of the building, housing the Center at 69 Catharine Street.
In the 1950s’ & 60s’ the Center served as host to a number of pro-civic rights speakers and events. During which time, City officials determined that the Center’s building was in need of a number of costly structural repairs. Local controversy, fueled by racial unrest and tension, raised concerns as to the City’s motivation and its allegedly unprecedented, urgent demand for immediate repairs or closure. Due to the lack of funds for repairs, the building was closed and subsequently razed. Decades later, the ornate, hand carved molding and oak floor boards from the demolished building can be found in a number of buildings throughout the City of Poughkeepsie.
In 1968 and early 70s’, following several outbursts and continued escalation of violence between local groups of adolescents, a community vision to build a new facility became a reality. Dr. Robert Wilfred Morgan, then President of the Catharine St. Board and City Judge J. Corbally led a successful fundraising campaign to build a new and better-equipped structure. The new Catharine Street Community Center, located adjacent to the original site was dedicated in March 1979.